Friday, 29 November 2013
Chocolate Turtle Layer Cake
Prep Time 40 min
Total Time 4 hr 25 min
- Unsweetened baking cocoa
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil’s food cake mix
- box (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4
- cups milk
- cup canola oil
- teaspoons vanilla
- teaspoon instant coffee granules or crystals
- cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- cup chopped pecans
- container (1 lb) Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy cream cheese frosting
- cup canned dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
- box (7 oz) turtle candies
- jar (12 oz) caramel topping
- cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray; sprinkle with cocoa.
- 2In large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and coffee granules with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Pour batter into pans.
- 3Bake 30 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to cooling racks; cool completely. Wrap cake layers; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 4In medium bowl, stir frosting and dulce de leche with whisk until well blended; set aside. Cut 6 of the turtle candies in half; set aside. Chop remaining candies.
- 5Place 1 cake layer, top side up, on serving plate. Spread with half of the frosting mixture; sprinkle with chopped candies. Place second cake layer, top side up, on candies. Spread remaining frosting mixture on top of cake. Cover; refrigerate until serving time. Drizzle caramel topping over top of cake, allowing some to drip down side. Garnish with pecan halves and reserved turtle candies.