Prep Time 2hr15 min
Total Time 12 min
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- tablespoons grated lime peel
- cup water
- cup light rum
- cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- boxes (4-serving size each) strawberry- or strawberry Daiquiri-flavored gelatin
- 2 1/2
- cups Betty Crocker® Whipped vanilla frosting (from 2 containers)
- Strawberries and lime slices, if desired
- 1Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for two 8-inch round pans, adding grated lime peel to batter. Remove from pan to cooling rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Wash and dry cake pans.
- 2Return cooled cake layers to clean 8-inch round pans. With thin stirring straw, toothpick or skewer, pierce cakes at 1/2-inch intervals.
- 3In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1 cup water to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in rum, lime juice and gelatin. Stir until completely dissolved. Spoon half of gelatin mixture over each cake. Refrigerate 1 to 3 hours to allow gelatin to set in cakes.
- 4To remove cakes from pans, dip pans in warm water 10 seconds. Unmold 1 cake onto serving platter; spread about 1 cup frosting on top of cake. Unmold second cake; carefully place on first cake on platter.
- 5Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Garnish with strawberries and lime. Loosely cover and refrigerate any remaining cake.